Reentry Vehicle Systems
Textron Defense Systems has decades of experience in materials research, design, development and manufacturing. In fact, we designed and/or built all of the U.S. Air Force’s operational inter-continental ballistic missile reentry vehicles to date. A significant contributor to our success stems from the unique thermal protection system components developed for these extreme reentry environments.
In the late 1960s and 1970s, Textron Defense Systems (Avco) invented 3-D weaving technology. Today, we continue to produce 3-D orthogonal, fine-weave pierced fabric (3-D and 5-D carbon/carbon) and 3-D polar weave composites for aerospace applications.
Our expertise includes:
- 3-D and stitched preforms
- Vacuum bag, compression and autoclave molding
- Heat treating and carbonization
- Inorganic resin formulation (DI100 & 200 polymers)
- Instrumented flight test vehicle production
- Full post-test analysis and real-time data telemetry acquisition of GPS-navigated hypersonic vehicles
- Advanced aero-system design and production
- Aero-thermal modeling
- Penetration aids and RADAR-absorbing materials